Monday, May 21, 2007

Charter Member

For a while now I've been working with some clients and prospects who've had a hard time getting their innovation initiatives off the ground. It seems that everyone's on board with innovation, and the senior management team is engaged and supportive of innovation, yet several teams have really struggled to demonstrate any accomplishments.

It turns out that what was common across these near failures was that no one had ever really defined what the innovation team was supposed to do, or what innovation means to the organization. This is one of those sad but funny items that make you scratch your head.

On one hand, everyone agrees that innovation is important. On the other hand, everyone has a slightly different definition of what innovation is. Therefore, the team gets many important requests that pull it from one idea to another with little overlap or respect for other ideas or previous work. So one manager's important incremental product idea is worked, then another manager's disruptive service idea. At some point the management team shows up and says - what have you done for me lately, and the innovation team has a real grab-bag of efforts that are disjointed and not complete.

What these folks need is a charter. A charter for the team details what the team's goals and responsibilities and roles are - what it will and won't do. If the organization can't get behind a definition of innovation, then the team can do the next best thing and define its scope and boundaries. This lets the team say "yes" to some projects and "no" to others, and create a more rationalized work effort and portfolio.

This seems evident, right? Yet you'd be amazed at how many teams just start out working on the first project that comes along, and then get sucked into the second, and third, and fourth projects, none of which have any relation or bearing to the others. Once you're in the whirlwind, it's tough to stop and realign.

If you don't have one now, create a charter which details what your innovation team plans to do - it's focus, priorities, resources and responsibilities. It's as important to say what you won't do as it is to define what you will do.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 6:15 PM

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Kotter in at least two of his books (The Heart of Change and Leading Change) lays out an 8 step process to improve the success of Change or Innovation. He really captured a lot of what you are saying. I made a diagram of those steps (I swapped 1 and 3 because I think small companies don't have enough people to form a team upfront.)

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah said...

Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah - John Kotter in at least two of his books (The Heart of Change and Leading Change) lays out an 8 step process to improve the success of Change or Innovation. He really captured a lot of what you are saying. I made a diagram of those steps (I swapped 1 and 3 because I think small companies don't have enough people to form a team upfront.)

By: Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah

See my blog: Harga Jual Blackberry iPhone Laptop Murah

2:14 AM  
Anonymous thesis binding service said...

I have to work very often meets with the situation described in the article. Begin to improve ourselves right now. Thanks to the author.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Inversiones en petroleo said...

Hello, i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Invertir en oro said...

I think that this post is very good, i would like to read more information about this topic.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous asuransi pendidikan said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous jadi artis said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous cara dapat duit said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous kerja sama investasi said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous coach indonesia said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous jajanan bandung said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous coklat valentine said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Panduan SEO said...

i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous konsultan perusahaan said...

I think people fear idea management and innovation because there's a significant number of ideas that simply won't plan out.......Nice statement.....keep posting

8:57 AM  
Anonymous belajar internet marketing said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous parcel lebaran said...

I think that this post is one of the best that i have read in my life, congrats you did a great job,.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous delayed orgasm said...

the difference between the content spammers and most corporate innovators is that the smaller

8:58 AM  
Anonymous how to avoid premature ejaculation said...

I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything,

8:58 AM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

If growth is important to a firm, and if growth is dependent on offering existing products and services to new customers

8:58 AM  
Anonymous tabungan pendidikan said...

innovation is very natural and happens in the "real world" as new plants and animals colonize new ecological niches.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous mengecilkan perut said...

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect

8:59 AM  
Anonymous how to teach dogs tricks said...

We generally think most specifically about the risk associated with a new product introduction

8:59 AM  
Anonymous easy way to get pregnant said...

I would be aware that as somebody who really doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (in actual fact, this may be my first put up), I don’t think the time period “lurker” is very flattering to a non-posting reader.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous stop pre ejaculation said...

Thank a lot for sharing your innovation about charter member. This is really one great blog i have ever read

7:59 AM  
Anonymous cure hemorrhoids naturally said...

Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemy.

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm probably like many others (for reviews), has learned a lot, and listening to your stories and advice, began to change, and many realized how much I wanted to change and errors yet.

custom writing paper

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home